Shade sails are a very popular choice for schools and ECEs as they provide safe and essential shade for children, staff, and whanau. However, with frequent use and exposure to New Zealand’s often harsh elements, these structures can degrade, leading to unforeseen repairs or replacement.
For schools and ECEs with budget constraints, managing expenses while ensuring the longevity of your shade sails is crucial. In this blog, we look at key maintenance strategies for shade sails at schools that focus on extending their lifespan and help you manage expenses. By following these strategies, schools can keep their shade sails in good condition, providing shade and comfort for school whanau for years to come.
1. Regular Cleaning: Overtime, dirt, debris, and other contaminants can accumulate on your shade sail, causing it to deteriorate faster. A yearly clean will prolong its lifespan.
2. Check for damage: Once per year your shade sail should be inspected for any signs of damage, such as tears, frayed edges, or loose fittings. Any of these damages (even small and seemingly inconspicuous) can affect the safety and longevity of the sail. Addressing any issues promptly can prevent these issues from getting worse and causing even further damage.
3. Remove during harsh weather conditions: We advise removing your shade sail during the Winter months to protect your investment from wind, rain and storm damage. This will prevent it from being degraded prematurely and ensure it lasts for years to come.
4. Store properly when not in use: When your shade sail is removed for an extended period, storing it properly also will help you prevent damage. The sail must be completely dry – and this is the ideal time to clean it to prevent damaging mould forming. Fold it neatly and store it in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight and away from ground level to protect it from rodents or rising moisture.
For local schools and ECEs we are offering a Free, no-obligation 6 Point Shade Sail Assessment to help you evaluate the integrity of your Shade Sail to help prolong it’s lifespan and your investment.
We will assess the Shade Sail:
5. Grime build-up parameters
6. Posts integrity and foundations
We can talk through the assessment results with you on the day and provide a report detailing a formal assessment and any recommendations.
Take advantage of this free assessment offer and Contact us today to schedule your assessment.
We've been very excited to kickstart our sponsorship of Melanoma NZ by awarding a bespoke shade sail to one very happy schoolRead More